Eight Disciplines Problem Solving was first developed by Ford Motor Company in 1987. The 8D Problem Solving Process is a systematic methodology that was specific to the manufacturing sector, but has since been adapted into other areas of business for its emphasis on streamlining quality and reliability.
The key advantage this process offers is its comprehensive structure. It emphasizes not just how to better detect and shoot down problems, but rather how to reorient the system around the problem to contain it and create features that permanently prevent a recurrence. Systemic reforms driven by the zero tolerance for risk and full accountability of “Root Cause Analysis”.
This 1-day program offers a rundown of the key principles at work in the 8D Problem Solving Process and how to implement them in your industry.
- Understand the purpose and objectives of 8D Problem Solving Tools and Techniques.
- Understand the phases of the 8D Problem Solving Process.
- Apply the different problem solving tools and principles in various situations.
- Assess systematically in accordance with Root Cause Analysis.
Who Must Attend
- Purchasing and sourcing.
- Customer support.
- Human resources.
SECTION 1: 8D Definition - Overview of 8D Steps
- Terms & Definition
- Application and introduction
SECTION 2: D1 – Introduction of the Team:
SECTION 3: D2 – Describe the Problem
- Ichikawa diagram and Sample of 5M for Fish Bone Diagram
- Team charter method
- Describe problem with 5W,2H
- New 7 QC tools
SECTION 4:D3 - Describe Interim Containment Actions
- Describe the temporary actions to contain the problem and “fix” until permanent correction is in place
- QC Tools
- Sample of Action Plan
SECTION 5: D4 – Describe The Process of Defining & Verifying of Root Causes
- Describe the ‘Escape Point’
- Some Tips to Get Started
- Describe verification and validation method of root cause
- Test on the escape point
SECTION 6: D5 – Describe The Process of Identifying & Verifying Corrective Actions
- Tabulate & describe solutions determined to be the best of all the alternatives
- DMAIC method
SECTION 7: D6 – Describe Action Plan For Corrective Actions
- Corrective action in table format and 5W 2H format
SECTION 8: D7 – Describe How The Problem Can Be Prevented From Recurrence
- Describe what improvements in systems and processes would prevent problem from Recurring
- Poka Yoke method
- Kaizen method and continuous improvement
- Control methodology
- One point lesson
SECTION 9: D8 – Record Recognition Accorded To The Team
- Recognition to the team
Mr LEE SOONG YEE
Qualification: B. Eng (US), MIEEE, AMIM, Dip Sc.
Mr LEE, Motorola Six Sigma Green Belt, is extensively involved test development, product engineering, process engineering and handle various manufacturing engineering projects internationally. He comes with 25+ years of experience in semiconductor manufacturing fields and multi-lingual translator.
- MIEEE (member of Institute of Electrical Electronic Engineer, USA)
- AMIM (Associate Malaysia Institute of Management)
- Bachelor Engineering (USA)
- Certificate Chinese Education (Taiwan)
- Diploma in Science (Malaysia)
- Started as a Test & Product Engineer and built the first wafer bump process in National Semiconductor factory in Malaysia.
- Leads various productivity project and process improvement project in the factory.
- Worked in National Semiconductor Malaysia, Singapore and Santa Clara factories for 9 years till Year-2002 as the Senior Engineer.
MOTOROLA / FREESCARE SEMICONDUCTOR
- In 2002, worked in Motorola Semiconductor Kuala Lumpur (currently known as Freescale Semiconductor Malaysia (M) Sdn. Bhd.) as Senior Test Engineer
- 2004, Promoted to Senior Staff Engineer to engage extensively in process, yield and productivity improvement.
- Successfully stabilize one of the most important platforms in the Motorola Kuala Lumpur factory.
- Speedy promotion to head the NPI (New Product Introduction) department to manage a group of product and test engineers in the factory for all new products introduction activities for Motorola Semiconductor Kuala Lumpur.
- Champion and develop GAGE RR Project
- Conducts ATE and tester trainings in Motorola and many trainings in Freescale factories
- 2007- Head of Test-Engineering team for Freescale Semiconductor (Motorola spun off),
- Lead a group of system engineers, ATE application engineers and system admin team
- In charge of various project across in Malaysia, various subcond houses, USA factories and China factories.
- 2010- Setup R&D department and in charge of continuous process improvement
- Spearhead the Change Management board in the organization from 2010- 2012.
- Certified trainer Malaysia government's HRDC (Human Resource Development Council) or PSMB since Dec 2012.
- Clocked in more than 1000 hours of technical trainings for engineering manager, engineers from various fields, technician, supervisor and technical specialist since 1997.
Course conducted includes since 1997:
- 8D Methodology
- Test system
- Digital test methodology
- Analog testing
- Teradyne A575 system
- Serial and parallel communication system
- Daymarc Handler multi site testing in high volume manufacturing,
- Operation Amplifier testing theory, Compact Programming,
- C++ programming for beginners
- MCT tester theory and application,
- One Test Strategy Methodology for productivity and cost saving in high volume manufacturing,
- Source of variation,
- Binary Coded Decimal Communication Protocol in handler, A360 tester programming theory and hardware,
- Teradyne J273 tester hardware and programming methodology,
- Multi Site testing,
- Hot Chuck theory and Procedures for wafer probing,
- Teradyne tester analog hardware oscillation and debugging,
- IMAGE programming, Microcontroller and Microprocessor test time reduction in final testing, J750 test time reduction via system methodology,
- J750 eFrame tester oscillation solution and multi site testing, J750 IGXL 3.40.09 Theory and Conversion, New Product Introduction NPI Maturity Matrix,
- Freescale files transfer system for subcond house KESM and TTM,
- Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility application for engineering,
- Problem Solving tools and Ichikawa diagram,
- Manufacturing best practices,
- Change Management Principles, Maverick Theory and statistical control, Engineering investment and ROI calculation,
- Manufacturing Ground rules, OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) Calculation,
- ESD Theory
- Lean Manufacturing Initiative and Theory.
Mr Lee is also passionate about sharing his knowledge and skills and lectures in many tertiary institutions throughout Asia Pacific.
He is the technical supervisor for the:
- post-graduate master degree program students’ for MARA university students in Malaysia.
- undergraduates for final year thesis of Monash University, Inti College, KDU, Nottingham University, government SHRDC, as well as various local universities in Malaysia.
To contact SY Lee, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call +603 8074 9056 | +6012 6869 628
We have a faculty of specialist and can cater to your organisation's different levels and specific needs.
For training and advisory services, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +603 8082 3707 | +603 8074 9056 | +6012 6869 628 | +6018 2175 123
|Sign up 1 pax|
|Pay 1 day(s) before course starts|
|Sign up 1 pax|
|Pay 14 day(s) before course starts|
|Sign up 3 pax or more|
|Pay 14 day(s) before course starts|